Philippians 2:5-6 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
If you want to know whether you are pursuing humility, just look to Jesus. No one is more humble than Jesus. This for me is one of the reasons why I know the bible is true, because no human being would ever invent a God who is humble like Jesus. Christmas is the time of year when we remember that God became a man – the God-man!
He incarnated himself and the word became flesh. God took on a physical body and lived with us and and like us. One minute Jesus is living in heaven surrounded by angels, the next minute he’s born in a manger surrounded by sinners. Jesus could have come as a conquering king, born in a palace but instead he was born in a forgotten farm house in a dirty manger. How glorious is our King Jesus?
Here are my 10 recommendations for pursuing humility this Christmas time:
- Follow truth wherever it leads
- Invite and pursue correction and counsel
- Learn from everyone
- Repent quickly and thoroughly
- Seek and celebrate Gods grace and work in others
- Cultivate a spirit of thankfulness
- Listen to Scripture more than yourself
- Exalt the name of Jesus in all you do
- Laugh at yourself because you, like me, are ridiculous
- Sleep like a Christian – Proud people don’t sleep well