I’ve been quite unwell the last 10 days and as I dragged myself from the bed this morning to go one of my scorching runs to revive my body (I think I might have killed it instead), I was reminded once again, that every day of our lives, on this planet, we are in a war.
Just stop and think about the resistance you feel, even at this present moment, towards yourself or against something you are working towards. Satan, sin and death has been conquered by Jesus death and resurrection but the mark of fallenness permeates every aspect of this world and relentlessly wars against us.
- We are in a war against sin – Our flesh doesn’t do what we want it to do and rather does what we don’t want it to do because of our brokenness.
- We are in a war for our health – Sickness and disease attacks our bodies constantly and trying to maintain a healthy body is like facing a UFC fighter in the octagon.
- We are in a war for our minds – The battlefield is often won or lost in the mind. There are so many distracting ideas competing for our attention, that we are so easily misled. We need a constant renewal of our thinking to conform to God’s thoughts and ways.
- We are in a war for people’s souls – The stakes are huge. People’s lives hang in the balance. Preacher, you aren’t just a communicator, you are a weapon in the hands of God, finely tuned to make war with your words. Load your cannons and fire!
- We are in a war for truth – Never, and I mean never, has there ever been a time, where God’s truth is under attack as it is today, both inside and outside the church. “Preach the word, in season and out of season, for the day is coming when people will not endure sound teaching but will heap up for themselves teachers to suit their own passions.” (2 Tim 4:2-3)