A calling is God’s unique soul print on a person’s identity (Ps 139:13-15). A calling is a strong heart conviction that God burdens you with (Rom 4:20-21). A calling is God’s anointing that rests upon you (1 Sam 16:13). A calling transcends a job or specific occupation (Acts 9:15, the apostle Paul worked as a tent maker but was called to be an apostle to the gentiles). A calling is witnessed to by others, especially spiritual authority (Jn 1:29).
Calling comes in different shapes and sizes and transcends the practical application of it being outworked. Noah saved a remnant by building a boat. Abraham became the father of many nations by faith in God’s promise. Moses delivered a nation by leading them out of Egypt into the Promised Land. Elijah performed signs and wonders as prophet to Israel.
The difference between a calling and a career is remarkable:
- Calling = Treasure in heaven VS Career = $ on earth
- Calling = Life of sacrifice VS Career = Life of convenience
- Calling = God’s always right VS Career = Your rights
- Calling = Applause of heaven VS Career = Applause of man
- Calling = Faithfulness VS Career = Success
- Calling = Continues VS Career = Conclusion
What are you pursuing, a calling or a career?